California VA Medical Malpractice Attorney
Call Today 888.406.5131
Seasoned VA Medical Malpractice Attorney Fighting For Your Rights

Section 1151 Claims

Contact a CA Veterans Administration Malpractice Lawyer

Have you been injured by a VA doctor or nurse? Depending on the circumstances of your injury, you may be entitled to receive compensation for by filing a Section 1151 claim with the VA. At California Veterans Rights Center, our veterans' administration malpractice attorney can protect your rights and help you pursue the compensation you deserve.

Countless veterans have trusted us to handle their cases for the following reasons:

  • More than three decades of experience
  • Hundreds of medical and military cases represented
  • Former judge advocate in the U.S. Marine Corps

Get in touch with our firm today to get started towards filing a claim.

What Is a Section 1151 Claim?

Veterans or surviving family members of veterans who are victims of medical malpractice from a VA doctor or another employee of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) can file a claim with the VA in pursuit of disability compensation, known as a "Section 1151" claim. If the VA determines that medical negligence occurred, the affected service member will be awarded compensation.

Section 1151 claims can be filed for a wide range of negligent acts, including:

  • Injuries from inaccurate or poor VA medical treatment
  • Risky procedures performed without proper consent
  • Infections caused by unclean practices
  • Foreign objects left in veterans after surgery

Section 1151 claims do not have a statutory deadline and can be filed at any time. Since the VA does not have a special form for filing a claim, it is important that claims of this type be submitted in writing and drafted with the assistance of a skilled attorney.

How Is a Section 1151 Claim Different From an FTCA Claim?

Veterans who are injured by the VA have two different options for seeking legal remedies: an FTCA claim or a Section 1151 claim. While the Federal Torts Claims Act (FTCA) allows injured veterans to seek compensation for any injury caused by a VA employee, including those who are not medical personnel, these claims can be complex and require an extensive amount of paperwork.

Section 1151 claims, on the other hand, can be filed in pursuit of compensation for injuries resulting from treatment received at a VA hospital, outpatient clinic, medical examination, or surgery. While more limited in scope than an FTCA claim, Section 1151 claims are filed directly with the VA and are generally much simpler to complete. Injured veterans can sometimes seek compensation under both of these methods, depending on the circumstances. An attorney from our firm can examine the details of your injuries and determine the most appropriate course of action to pursue.

Schedule a Free Case Evaluation Today

At California Veterans Rights Center, our attorney is passionate about protecting the well-being of service members and is prepared to do whatever is necessary to ensure your rights are upheld during this difficult time. Our skilled litigator can advocate for maximum compensation on your behalf and protect your well-being every step of the way, allowing you to get back on your feet as quickly as possible. Let us cut through the bureaucratic red tape and handle the legal heavy lifting so you can focus on your recovery with peace of mind.

The best way to get started is by scheduling a no-cost consultation today.